With Critical Illness insurance through The Hartford, you’ll receive a lump-sum payment when a covered illness is diagnosed. You can use the payment in any way you choose, including:
Expenses not covered by your medical insurance:
- Deductibles and coinsurance
- Caregiver expenses
- Travel to and from treatment centers
Day-to-day living expenses:
- Rent or mortgage payments
- Child care
- Utility bills
How the Critical Illness Insurance Works
- You choose the amount of coverage available at the time of enrollment.
- A lump-sum benefit is paid when you or a covered dependent are diagnosed with a covered illness while insured under the policy.
- If a previously covered illness returns or you’re diagnosed with an additional covered illness, benefits remain payable up to the benefit maximum for as long as you’re insured under the policy (subject to plan terms and conditions).
Why Do I Need It?
A major illness – such as cancer, a heart attack, or stroke – can leave you emotionally, physically, and financially overwhelmed. Critical Illness insurance can help:
- Relieve the financial impact of an illness so you can focus on recovery.
- Enhance your traditional medical plan.
- Ensure that you’ll be better prepared to cover out-of-pocket expenses in the event of a serious illness when combined with Accident or Disability insurance.
In addition to providing a financial benefit, Critical Illness Insurance through The Hartford provides these services to help you focus on your treatment and recover:
- HealthChampion℠ 1, 2 – Unlimited access to administrative and clinical experts who can guide you through your health concerns and care options.
- Ability Assist®1 – 24/7 access to trained professionals and resources for assistance with the financial, legal, and emotional issues that may follow an accident.
- Ability Assist® and HealthChampion℠ services are provided through The Hartford by ComPsych®. ComPsych is not affiliated with The Hartford and is not a provider of insurance services. The Hartford is not responsible and assumes no liability for the goods and services provided by ComPsych.
- HealthChampion specialists are only available during business hours. Inquiries outside of this timeframe can either request a call-back the next day or schedule an appointment.
- The Hartford® is The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including underwriting company Hartford Life and Accident Insurance Company. Home Office is Hartford, CT. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Policies underwritten by the underwriting company listed above detail exclusions, limitations, reduction of benefits and terms under which the policies may be continued in force or discontinued.
- THIS POLICY PROVIDES LIMITED BENEFITS FOR SPECIFIED DISEASES ONLY. This limited benefit plan (1) does not constitute major medical coverage, and (2) does not satisfy the individual mandate of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) because the coverage does not meet the requirements of minimum essential coverage. In New York: This policy provides limited benefits health insurance only. It does NOT provide basic hospital, basic medical or major medical insurance as defined by the New York State Department of Financial Services.